The Bad Mommy

I work only to pay for his therapy later.

Name:
Location: Novato, California, United States

Monday, August 27, 2007

Wasn't He Just an Infant?

School started back up last week and my baby began his final year of of elementary school. I've taken the first day of school off from work for six years now - always more for myself than for C. Remember, this is the kid who, in kindergarden, said to me "You know, Mom, I think it embarrasses the other kids when you kiss me goodbye."

I do have SOME sensitivity. This year I asked if he'd be more comfortable being just dropped off or if it would be ok for me to walk him back to the classroom. He thought about it for a minute and then said it would be ok for me to walk him back, since there would no doubt be a lot of other parents doing the same thing.

He was right - we ended up having to park a couple of blocks from the school and as we walked toward the campus, I said "I don't supppose you're going to hold my hand this year?"

He gave me the sideways, mildly contemptuous look. "What do you think?"

"I think you'd rather die a slow painful death."

"Mom, that would be a slow painful death."

But he did it anyway - just for a few steps and not where anybody could see him. He knows I need that extra reassurance on the first day of school.

And I was really proud of myself - this year, for the first time, I didn't cry after dropping him off.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy did I guffaw at his comeback! Too funny! My oldest once went on a school-sponsored one-week science trip, and when the buses unloaded all the 6th graders back at the middle school, my daughter's teacher (bless her) watched this really good kid doing the normal oh goodness there is my MOTHER and I'm going to be seen in public with her! embarrassment thing, laughed, and ordered her, "Jennie. Go hug your mom!"

She almost did, too!

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations.
But it's kindergarten. With a t.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Join | List | Previous | Next