The Bad Mommy

I work only to pay for his therapy later.

Name:
Location: Novato, California, United States

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Attitude Adjustment

Last year, I learned about this GREAT program called Cup of Joe for Joe offered by the Green Beans Coffee Company. You donate $2 to the program and it provides a deployed soldier with a cup of coffee (or hot chocolate or whatever).

Green Beans (which is headquartered just down the road from me in Larkspur, CA) operates cafes both here in the US and all over various war zones. When you donate a cup of Joe, Green Beans randomly gives a gift card to a soldier, along with - if you choose to write one - a note from you. You have the option of providing your email address in the event the soldier would like to thank you. I've had about an 80% response rate and it is SUCH A RUSH to hear from someone half way around the world whose day has been brightened by such a small act of kindness.

(On some level, I feel like the best good deeds are anonymous. In this case, I think it's more meaningful to have a "real" person doing the giving. Also, see above re SUCH A RUSH :-)

Regardless of how I feel about the US presence in other parts of the world, I do unequivocally support the men and women who are risking their lives each and every day to keep the rest of us safe. This is a wonderful, low key, personal way to say thank you.

The minimum donation is $2 - payable by credit/debit card or PayPal. If you're feeling flush, you can donate in any increment of $2.

Today I was feeling whiney about having to take public transit on such a rainy, soggy day. I realized I needed a little attitude adjustment -- our soldiers face extreme weather AND risk their lives on a daily basis. Then when I checked our bank account, I saw that the Franchise Tax Board had deposited our refund last night.

The confluence of those two events felt like the universe was sending me a message, so this afternoon I sent another batch of gift cards.

Next time you're feeling a little crabby, or generous, or both, please think about sending a Cup of Joe to a Joe. You can thank me later :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Helga Marie Bee said...

What a great idea- thank you!
oh and I MISS YOU!!!

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Join | List | Previous | Next